Wednesday, August 6, 2008

what you will NOT see on tv this friday night...

This post will be pictureless because I couldn't bring any recording devices inside the rehearsal hall. (AKA bird's nest)

I am sure millions around the globe will be watching the opening ceremony in high-definition. The show was definitely beautiful, spectacular, and VERY Chinese. I wish I had watch the entire performance with a NBC broadcast announcer over my shoulder. I looked at the screen that was literally across the giant stadium to figure what was going on... it was very hard.

So I am not going to reveal anything you will see on Channel 4... instead, I am just going to say the following:

1. Towards the end of the show, a dancer in a white dress PASSED OUT!! She had to be carried off stage. (Yes, it was THAT hot inside.)
2. We had to walk two bus stations from the stadium. This means, unless you have a hard ticket, you can't even get close enough to see the fences around the entire Olympic village. There are security guards EVERYWHERE!!!!
3. At the concession stand, TsingDao beer is $1 per cup!!! Hot dog is not a "real" hot dog. It is actually a sausage in bread.
4. There are 4 event volunteers per section by the seating area. Each section holds up to 100 people. Each section has its own "cheer" volunteer captain. The cheer captain is in charge of teaching the audience how to do the "wave". My aunt and I did the "wave" about 20 times. They also taught us the "official" cheer.
5. Try to count how many performers there are in the first act. Just try...
6. Watch the show until the very very very end. I don't know if they will show this on TV, but the last performance we saw was pretty cool. (This is after each country's flag has been carried out.)
7. If you think Chinese culture is weird, DON'T WATCH THE SHOW!!!! You might have a heart attack.
8. If you think Chinese culture is amazing, then you'll see some pretty exciting stuff.
9. Apparently, hand towels = toilet paper in China.
10. I am excited to see who will carry the Olympic torch inside the stadium!

I an VERY VERY VERY glad I arrived here a couple days early before the ceremony to watch this last rehearsal show. It was definitely very special!!!!!!! Go Aunt Lu!!

No comments: